Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How to I change my command prompt variable (%prompt%) from the command line?

I believe it uses %26quot;set%26quot; command some how, but I am not quite sure how to do it. I want to change the $P$G to somethings else, but when I look for the prompt registry key from regedit.exe or %26quot;My computer/properties/advanced%26quot; its not showing up to edit. I am pretty sure there is a way to do it from the cmd line similar to editing a .txt file with %26quot;Copy Con%26quot;.How to I change my command prompt variable (%prompt%) from the command line?
In DOS, you'd simply type %26quot;prompt $p$g%26quot; (or whatever you want the prompt to be.



In Windows, this works too, but as soon as you leave the command line, it reverts back.



Hit Windows+Break to bring up the system properties.

Go to the Advanced tab.

Click on Environment Variables.

Add a variable called %26quot;prompt%26quot; and set it to whatever you want the prompt to be.How to I change my command prompt variable (%prompt%) from the command line?
To change it, type the following on the command line:

SET PROMPT=XXX



Change XXX to what you want your new prompt to be.



You can also use the following command to hide the prompt:

@ECHO OFF

No comments:

Post a Comment