Thursday, November 18, 2010

How can I max out my internet connection?

I have 2 pc's hooked up to my router. I have verizon dsl and it says I'm supposed to get 3 Mbps/768 Kbps. My NIC says I can receive 100 Mbps. I did a few tests at http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks and from there I am only getting about 300 Kbps both ways. I changed the regedit.exe which I got from http://windowsitpro.com/article/articlei Any help is greatly appreciatedHow can I max out my internet connection?
It is entirely dependant on the type of broadband connection you receive. Both Cable and ADSL providers use throttling techniques to sometimes slow their networks. Also, with adsl at least (im not sure about cable) you share your internet speed with at least 10 other people and so you almost never (except at maybe 3 in the morning) get near the top end of your download speed. Unless you want to buy in a faster package from your ISP you won't see any more speed. The only suppliers that near guarantee speeds are ISPs supplying subscriber-line fibre optic connections (something like 拢250 a month at least in the UK, plus setup).



One thing I can suggest, though, is to change your DNS. This won't help large downloads, as such, but it can help the loading speed of pages massively.

I personally use OpenDNS seeing as they have a massive, super-quick infrastructure and they've never failed me. The IP addresses for their servers are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220, you can set this either on your machine in network settings or you can log in to your router and change it that way. I hope this helps.How can I max out my internet connection?
By default your internet connection will use all available bandwidth, registry tweaks and tcp values wont make a massive difference. You'll only get data as fast as the slowest link on your network (your internet connection), therefore if you want more bandwidth, buy a bigger pipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment