Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How do i change the boot drive letter on Windows XP?

Hi,

Iv got an ACER Laptop, I have 50GB worth of data on a partition of my hard drive, I installed Windows onto the other partition, but when i logged back into windows, the boot drive is D and the Backup drive is C..



Iv tried going into REGEDIT and going into: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices?br>
Changed the DosDevices\C to D blah blah blah - This just freezes the computer just before it loads up into Windows,

Iv tried Disk Management and it doesnt let me change the drive letters because its the drive that windows boots from..



Is there any other way of doing this? I have tried formatting patriion and installing windows xp on it again, with no joy..



My DVD Writer doesnt even work properly, so i cant backup all my data, The other alternative would be to plug in an external HD into the laptop, anyone got any ideas before i do this?



MoeHow do i change the boot drive letter on Windows XP?
change drive c to an unmapped letter (say z)

then change d to c then z to d

No comments:

Post a Comment