Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How to change the default location of the XP Program Files?

How to change the default location of the Program Files (for the fresh clean XP install). I’d like to install drivers and programs to the different partition. I wouldn’t like to mess up the Windows paths, though.



The method below doesn’t work for the fresh install because Program Files folder seems to be created only after the software is installed. Anyway I couldn’t find the folder following the path below:

1. Click Start || Run .

2. Type regedit. This will open the Registry editor.

3. Go to the subkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Wi…

4. Look for the value named ProgramFilesDir. By default, the value will be “C:\Program Files”. Modify the value to any other valid folder.

5. Close the Registry editor.



Thank you for any advice in this matter.

gskyjrHow to change the default location of the XP Program Files?
My solution: at install i created 3 partitions

1 - C: Windows - only for XP and the programs that refused to install elsewhere: drivers, Google Earth, Adobe Flash, etc. = 10 GB

2 - D: Program Files - all my installed programs and games = 50 GB

3 - E: My Documents - all my files = 173 GB

Not a single file, setting, or tweak that i backed up on D or E has been lost or destroyed since.

No comments:

Post a Comment