Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How do I get rid of the dropdown list from the run command? Start, Run there is a list of recent commands.?

Let me explain: Click on Start, %26amp; then Run. How do I get rid of or clear the list of recent commands I entered (ie. msconfig, regedit)?



In XP Pro there is something called Group Policy. It allows you to prevent access to specific programs, removes access to certain things from the Start menu (Control Panel, Windows Explorer, etc.), prevents changing Internet settings, etc.



Many people will have access to this computer, so I'm trying to prevent/remove access to many functions on the computer to prevent people from not using the computer as intended. But I also want to be able to log in as an Admin %26amp; have a normal computer.



When people click on Start there will not be much there, because I have either prevented access or hidden the Icons. Most people aren't going to know how to undo these changes, unless they know about Group Policy. The only normal way a person might figure it out would be to click on Run %26amp; choose Group Policy from the dropdown list %26amp; undo my changes.How do I get rid of the dropdown list from the run command? Start, Run there is a list of recent commands.?
I don't know if this includes the %26quot;Run%26quot; command, but you can give it a try:



Right-click Start, and choose Properties. Make sure the %26quot;Classic Start menu%26quot; radio button is selected, then click Customize. Click the %26quot;Clear%26quot; button, and I think that should clear your list.How do I get rid of the dropdown list from the run command? Start, Run there is a list of recent commands.?
There are a couple of ways:



You can manually edit the registry (Not recommended)

You can clear your history, by either using the clean history in IE, or in taskbar properties (start menu, customize, CLEAR)

You can download the XP Powertools, specifically TweakUI which will allow you to set it to automatically clear out run history on logout.





Different users shouldnt see your run history though, that is limited to each profile.

No comments:

Post a Comment